Spouses or children with J-2 visas can submit a work permit application (Form I-765) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and earn authorization to work. In order to receive this authorization, J-2 visa holders must provide proof that they are working to support themselves financially, rather than working to support the J-1 visa holder.